Having kids or pets or both in-house entails an additional responsibility of dealing with bedwetting; the stains and the odors. Obliterating them stains and getting rid of the rancid smell can be one heck of a chore, especially when you are late to the affected site. These issues require quick action for prevention and cure. Some traditional methods of cleaning your best foam mattress topper after they have been irreversibly (it is not as it is thought to be.) damaged by pee, involves putting the mattress out in the sun. Although this method might help you in knowing that how to remove urine smells from the mattress, completely or incompletely so, the stains will still be there. If you have less time for taking all the extra headache to clean the stains, when you can cover the mattress up with a bedsheet, you can definitely go for sprinkling some talcum powder on the affected region and putting your mattress out in the sun for around 4 to 5 hours, but if you really want to stifle the fetid odor of and want to know how to remove urine smell from mattress and rub out the stains, you might want to read below:
How to get rid of the stains and odor? Is there a way?
Yes, there is, and it is minimalistic yet effective. For this, you will need some items that, I am sure, can be found in any kitchen; Vinegar, Baking Soda and lots of paper towels (tissue papers). That is it!
- To go ahead, all you have to do is sponge dry all the moisture in the affected area on the mattress first. Do this carefully, do not press too hard, or all the liquid might get inside the layers of the mattress.
- Spray some vinegar on the affected area and let it sit for a good 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, you want to open the windows and turn on the fan for ventilation, so you don’t have to take the nausea smell. Vinegar has a strong smell too.
- Dry out all the vinegar with paper towels.
- Then apply baking soda powder on the affected area. Ensure that it is more powdery and not clumpy.
- Let the mattress remain like this for a couple of hours. Maybe 4 to 5.
- Vacuum the baking soda from the mattress, and you will see all the stains gone.
Does it really remove the rancid odor? Because vinegar has a strong smell too.
Although vinegar does have a strong smell, it should be acknowledged that it is highly acidic and can break down all the fetid odor of urine in bed.
Does it hold good for an animal pee as well?
Yes, of course. In fact, a lot of people use this for their pets only. Cat pee can be very nasty, but baking soda and vinegar work wonders. In fact, this works well for puke stains even.
Does any of the ingredients have any toxic side-effects?
No, none of it does. In fact, children above 6 to 7 years old can clean their luxury mattresses topper themselves with products like these.
Apart from the above method, there are various products on the market that are manufactured for pee stains that can help you with your worry of how to remove urine smell from the mattress. They can be used as replacements for vinegar.